Monday, January 15, 2007

jelly bellies and no beer


Since I had the day off on Monday, we decided to go to Fairfield to the Jelly Belly factory. We packed up our shit and cruised for several miles until we finally got there. Gracelyn conveniently napped for the majority of the trip which was perfect. The tour was okay. We saw the jelly bellies moving around in the stainless steel tumblers and got to taste whichever flavor we wanted. Our tour guide was lame. She was monotone and sounded annoyed the entire time. Afterward, I enjoyed a tasty childhood treat, PB&J, while Amanda had a jelly-bean-shaped hamburger. On the way out of Jelly Belly land, we also saw a Budweiser beer factory. I was so excited to follow-up our sugar high with alcohol. But, the damn factory was closed for tours on Sundays and Mondays which sucked. Good times were had, but who would knowingly eat a Jelly Belly that tastes like dirt or wet grass? I still can't believe they have such flavors!

PS: I think we look like a family of In 'n Out workers in the above picture. I am pretty sure Gracelyn will be pissed when she grows up and finds this image floating around the Internet.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to go to the Jelly Belly Factory hoping to find "tanbark", "tar" or "gas" flavors...
~A1's sick and twisted friend, A2

manders said...

They have vomit, earwax, grass, ant hill (tastes like dirt), and a bunch of other gross ones, too. I tried the jalapeno one, and it was actually pretty good. Spicy little kick to it!

Just a note: they MADE us wear those silly looking hats. It was actually one of their "tour rules". That and no spitting on the factory workers... :-)

Allan Teruel said...

Fairfield!!! This is in Big Al's neck of the woods near da' Valley-jo. Next time you're in the area you are welcome to go to the Original Big Al's House for treats (Big Al's presence isn't even required, but please present your V-Towne Playa' Pass upon request).

Unknown said...

i always thought a ucla education would get you a job at in-n-out.

Unknown said...

You went to the Jelly Belly factory? What da fu..?

Gma said...

Did they have any cheese flavored ones?

manders said...

i didn't see any cheese-flavored ones, but part of the tour was about the thousands of requests they receive every week for new flavors. the tour guide said that they've had a "macaroni-n-cheese" request a few times. i try it, just to see what it's like, if they ever made it...

Unknown said...

do twisters count as burritos...cuz u know, they got like chicken, hot sauce, lettuce, & some other things wrapped around a tortilla. i ask becuz of the breakfast burrito question. i might be leaning towards no since burrito is not in its name like with the breakfast one.