I would define a monopoly as being the only choice a consumer has. And, with only one choice, consumers are subject to the wishes of the monopoly whether it be high prices, etc. Today, I realized that there are these modern day monopolies that fly under the radar. Take for example a Target, a WallMart, a Best Buy, a Home Depot. For the most part, they all have the best prices, the best selection of brands, the best quality products, the best locations, and flexible return policies. But, in my shopping travels, each of these institutions has pissed me off in some capacity. Specifically, it is either their customer service or their support of some bullshit that I hate. I would gladly boycott them, but where does that leave me? I end up having to pay higher prices somewhere else or risk not finding the exact brand-model combination I am looking for. So, unfortunately, as a consumer who is price sensitive, cares about my time (convenient locations), and likes particular stuff, I feel forced to shop at the places that treat me like shit. Standing up to their crap only affects me as the little guy, not them as the big guy. This sucks!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Here's an example of the bad costomer service/ employee stupidity that Judd is ranting about:
During Hanukkah, Mom Jacobs, Gracelyn, and I were at Target looking for some odds and ends in our holiday shopping. One of the things we were looking for was a small decorative basket for the gift for my parents. We asked a couple of Target employees where we would find these. The first employee sent us to the laundry basket section (yes, we did say "basket", but come on! I'm not gonna put a wine-n-cheese gift in a laundry basket!!). The next employee we asked was working in the Christmas decor section. He told us matter-of-factly that they didn't carry anything like that. Bummer. So we decided to browse the decor section, anyways. And, what do you know...just two aisles over from where this uninformed employee was restocking shelves of ornaments, what did we find? A whole section of decorative baskets!! All different shapes, sizes, and colors! I'm talking half of an aisle dedicated to decorative baskets! I mean, in the end, we got what we came for, but having to deal with the stupidity of the Target employees was pretty frustrating.
Moral of the story? Don't ask Target employees about anything having to do with items in the store. Just look for it yourself.
i have a strict boycott on walmart & there is one less than a mile from my house. i've gone many, many miles out of my way to find stuff and also wound up not buying stuff becuz of them. don't let them win!
why do you boycott walmart?
i've heard some reasons why people might, but i was just curious as to your specific reasons...
walmart is bad for the mom & pop stores that sprinkle the sleepy little village i dwell in. it's also bad in other towns, so i boycott those too. the boycott has been in affect for many, many years. if u don't, u must like bill o'reilly & be a commie too.
lets just make a store that only offers the products you like... nothing else. like you want a printer... BOOM. there is your printer. you want a hammer? we got hammers. they are all the same, but we have them in quantity.
we charge 17% over best buy, but cater to those who are also concerned with their time. but in this capacity we're just saying... LOOK. stop wasting your time choosing. we already did it. WE HAVE WHAT YOU WANT. the same way comedy shows encourage people not to think comically for themselves... THEY TAKE CARE OF IT. just go watch the show... humor... DONE.
also, i broke that scale you sent, but ironically i am at my lowest weight in years. use that in your own humor thinkings if you please.
Post a Comment